It’s not unusual for residential and commercial air conditioning units to break down during the hot summer months. After all, they’re meant for creating and circulating cold indoor air, and summertime is when they see a lot of use. Luckily there are ways you can keep cool while waiting for an AC service in Oklahoma City, OK to come to the rescue. Stay cool, calm and collected—help is on the way!
- Use fans: Whether you have ceiling, portable or tabletop fans, turn them on the moment you notice a problem with your air conditioner. This way the fans can push any lingering cool air around the house to preserve it for as long as possible. Indoor temperatures may not be as comfortable as you would like, but at least using your fans can keep you cooler for a time.
- Shut up the house: Keep the hot sun from entering your home by drawing window coverings closed and making sure to shut all windows and doors. If you have windows or glass doors that face super sunny sides, gather some sheets to hang them for extra sun blockage over curtains or blinds. Regardless, you should close curtains, doors and windows even when your air conditioner is working.
- Stay hydrated: When your AC goes out, it’s especially important that you stay hydrated to avoid heat stroke or turning into a giant raisin. Drink plenty of water before and throughout the entire time the AC service in Oklahoma City, OK is working. (Don’t forget to offer water to your service person!) Also, enjoy eating plenty of hydrating fruits and vegetables—think watermelon, strawberries, cucumbers and celery.
- Play in the pool: Feeling the heat during a midday AC crash? If so, why not turn the day into backyard pool time for cooling off? If you don’t feel like taking a dip in the pool, break out those misters and chill out in the shade with a bowl of watermelon. Don’t have a pool? Head to your nearest community center, a friend’s pool or the lake.
- Avoid cooking: Stuffy, stagnant indoor heat does not make for an ideal cooking situation. Between the old warm air, heat from the stove and steam created by cooking food, you’re liable to conjure up a sauna in your own home. So it’s a good idea to avoid indoor cooking all together. Instead, consider using the patio grill or preparing simple no-cook meals.
- Take advantage of cool evenings: Cool summer nights have at least a couple benefits. First, you get a physical break from all that daytime heat, and second, it’s a chance to cool down the inside of your house. As soon as outdoor temperatures have dropped a little, open windows and doors so air can circulate through, and then head outside to cool down before bedtime.
With these cooling tips and more, you are now a little more prepared to survive an air conditioner breakdown. For superior summertime AC service in Oklahoma City, OK, call the talented team of technicians at Dailey Heating & Air Conditioning today.
Categorised in: HVAC Service
This post was written by Writer