Spring has arrived, and with it comes spring cleaning. Every year around this time, people tend to clean out their homes to eliminate items they no longer need, or to get their homes set up for the warmer weather and everything that comes with summer.
One task you should be certain to include in your spring routine is simple preventative HVAC maintenance in Oklahoma City, OK. Here are a few HVAC-related chores you can add to your list, many of which are very quick and simple and can be performed without having to call in a professional for assistance:
- Check your air conditioner: If you have central air conditioning, chances are it’s been a little while since you’ve had it running. Before you do anything else, you should check and make sure all the equipment is still functioning properly. Turn on your air conditioner, and lower the desired setting on your thermostat so it turns on in your home. Let it run for a little bit and make sure it properly cools your home, then restore your desired settings and shut it back off until you need to use it.
- Check filters: You should replace your furnace and air conditioning filters on a quarterly basis at the very least. There are several kinds you can choose from, depending on your needs. Fiberglass filters will not last as long as HEPA filters, for example, and the latter can be easily cleaned with vacuum attachments.
- Clean dehumidifiers: For dehumidifiers to keep working properly throughout their lifespans, you need to clean and maintain them regularly. You should remove the housing from the dehumidifier and let it completely dry out before placing the housing back on. You can also vacuum out all reachable surfaces and crevices.
- Drainage: Air conditioners will usually have drainage holes at the base under the evaporator fins. You need to keep those holes clear for proper air conditioner function. You can clean them with paper clips or wires each spring.
- Bathroom fans: Make it a point to thoroughly clean your bathroom fans at least once a year, as well as any other ventilation fans you may have in your home. To do this, remove the cover, wash the fan in soapy water and use a toothbrush to clean off any stubborn dirt that’s stuck on the blades. Obviously, shut off the power when doing so.
- Check windows: The efficiency of your HVAC is also affected by the quality of your windows. Make sure the windows still provide a good seal and insulation. It might help to add window coverings to block sun from entering on hot days, which will prevent your air conditioning from having to go into overdrive to reach your desired temperatures.
Of course, it is always recommended that you get an annual inspection of your HVAC to make sure everything is in good working order. Such inspections will also allow you to uncover any potential problems before they necessitate major repairs.
For more information about simple HVAC maintenance in Oklahoma City, OK, contact Dailey Heating & Air Conditioning today.
Categorised in: HVAC Service
This post was written by Writer