With summer just around the corner, we are entering the air conditioning season. This means now is the best time for you to inspect your air conditioning system and make sure it’s prepared for efficient operation all summer long.
Part of improving the efficiency of your air conditioning system is making sure the vents are clean. Clean air conditioning vents in Oklahoma City, OK will prevent any dirt, dust, pollen and dander trapped in the system from blowing into your home, and will help you save money through more efficient operation of your HVAC.
Here’s a quick overview of the steps you can follow for AC vent cleaning before summer hits:
- Turn off the power to your HVAC: Just to be on the safe side, it’s a good idea to shut off power to your system. You can use your thermostat to turn the system off, but you can also find the switch near your furnace that will shut off power to the entire system.
- Unscrew vent covers: Your next step should be to remove the screws from all your air vent covers and pull the vent covers away from the wall. Depending on where they are located, you may need a ladder or stepstool to reach some of them.
- Prepare: For AC vent cleaning in Oklahoma City, OK, you will need a bucket filled with warm, soapy water and a scrub brush, as well as a heavy-duty vacuum or shop vacuum.
- Scrub: Using your warm, soapy water, scrub the air vent covers and then rinse them off with clean, fresh water. Set them off to the side to dry.
- Vacuum: While the vent covers are drying, use the heavy-duty vacuum to clean the ducts. Get in there as deep as you can and be thorough with your vacuuming to remove as much dirt, dust and debris as possible. It can be a good idea to wear a mask during this process just in case some of the debris comes loose—you don’t want to inhale it.
- Reinstall: When you have completed the process of vacuuming and the vent covers have fully dried, you can reinstall them in their proper places. Make sure you install the vent covers back exactly where they were before so you know they will fit properly. It can be helpful to keep note of which vent covers go to which locations.
The frequency with which you’ll need to perform this process will depend largely on your own personal circumstances. Homes that have smokers, pets or frequent problems with dust will need to clean their vents and ducts more than homes that generally do not have these issues. In general, it’s a good idea to perform this process once a year or so, and doing it in the spring when the weather starts to get nice is always a sensible option.
For more information about the various steps you should follow when preparing to clean your vents, contact the AC maintenance team in Oklahoma City, OK at Dailey Heating & Air Conditioning.
Categorised in: Air Conditioning
This post was written by Writer