In terms of household chores, replacing the HVAC air filters is one of the easier items on the checklist. Just because it’s easy doesn’t mean it’s not important! This post will cover why air filter replacement in Oklahoma City, OK is so essential:
- Prevent system failure: An air filter’s job is to prevent contaminants like dust from entering the system and wreaking havoc on the delicate components. A clogged filter is less effective at blocking those contaminants, which means big problems for the motor. In fact, clogged air filters are the number one reason for system failure. Regularly swap out those filters to avoid breakdowns and expensive repairs.
- Prolong system lifespan: An HVAC system should last anywhere from 10 to 15 years. That’s assuming you regularly change the filters, though. Neglecting this simple step can cut your system’s lifespan in half. In addition to changing your filters, be sure to schedule professional maintenance each fall and spring.
- Energy savings: A clogged air filter makes the motor work harder to produce hot or cold air. As you can imagine, the harder the motor works, the more energy the system uses up. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that homeowners who keep up with replacing their air filters can save up to 15 percent each month on their heating and cooling bills.
- Preserve air quality: Air filters are also supposed to prevent dust, pollen and other allergens from circulating in the air. Performing regular HVAC filter maintenance in Oklahoma City, OK allows your filters to trap more harmful contaminants. To further improve your air quality, consider upgrading to a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter. HEPA filters cost a bit more, but they’re over 99 percent effective at trapping allergens.
- Avoid dirty ducts: Before the allergens mentioned above circulate through the air, they could get trapped up in your air ducts. Dirty air ducts are bad news for people with asthma and other breathing conditions, and they make your unit less energy efficient.
- Preserve your warranty: Manufacturers know the importance of changing your air filters, which is why many warranties are contingent on homeowners staying on top of this task. If your system breaks down and the HVAC technician finds the cause to be a lack of maintenance, the warranty could be voided and you’ll be stuck paying out of pocket.
How often should the filter be changed?
Most HVAC systems need new filters every 30 to 60 days. However, that’s not always the case. The frequency with which you need to replace your filter depends on a few factors, including the type of filter you have and your HVAC system. When in doubt, always change the filters sooner rather than later.
Is it time for an AC tune-up?
If your AC is running strangely, or if it’s been a while since you’ve had air conditioning filter maintenance in Oklahoma City, OK, call the team at Dailey Heating & Air Conditioning. From general maintenance to repairs and replacement, we specialize in all kinds of air conditioning services that’ll have your system in tip-top shape in no time. Call today to schedule service!
This post was written by Writer